The WIN-911 FactoryTalk Alarm & Events Direct Connection provides a means of connecting to Rockwell's FactoryTalk Services in order to subscribe to alarms from the configured A&E Server. Multiple data sources can be configured for FactoryTalk Alarms & Events, allowing the user to connect to multiple applications. The FT Subscriptions are configured based on Alarm Name, Alarm Class, and Severity, expediting the WIN-911 alarm configuration and maintenance process. The FTA&E tag properties are configured at the device level making all properties dynamic with respect to WIN-911.This means that a tag can be modified in FactoryTalk and those changes are automatically reflected in WIN-911. (note: this connection requires you to purchase the WIN-911/FT license, please consult our price list for information.
The WIN-911 Direct Connect with FactoryTalk Alarm & Events supports the following features:
- Subscription to alarming
- Re-connection if data link is lost
- Networked connection (note: requires FactoryTalk services, and FactoryTalk client installed. Client does not need to be licensed or running, just installed)
The WIN-911 Direct Connect with FactoryTalk Alarm & Events does NOT support the following features:
- ALARM OFF command from FactoryTalk View
- SUPPRESS command from FactoryTalk View
- Digital or Analog tags
In this section we will discuss the step necessary to make a successful connection to your Alarm & Events Server.
Start off by opening the WIN-911 GUI and navigating to Alarming>FactoryTalk A&E>Application. Click on the "add" icon to add a FTAE connection.
All the information required to make a connection can be found in your FT Studio. Below is a mapping of the application information required by WIN-911, where the left side is what your FT Studio Explorer pane displays, and the right is the WIN-911 configuration, click image to enlarge.
1. Name: A user-defined field to identify your connection
2. Description: A user-defined field for adding additional information about the FT connection
3. Application Type: Define whether your FT project is defined as Local or Network
4. Application Name: Enter the project name as it appears in the Studio Explorer pane. In the above example, you can see that WIN-911 is going to be connecting to the project Samples Water (note: syntax is important, use the name EXACTLY as it is spelled out in the project, with correct capital and lower-case letters)
5. Username & Password: Define a FT username and password, it is recommended that you create a new user. Within FactoryTalk Studio, edit the users settings so that the password never expires, and make sure that the user is a member of the Administrators group. This will prevent a potential disconnect on the WIN-911 side.
6. Test Connection: With all your settings in place, you can test the connection. a dialog will open giving you a success or a failure. If successful, continue your configuration, if not successful, double-check your configuration, if this is a remote connection, make sure you have a FT Services installed and a FT Client installed, remember the client does not have to be licensed or running, just installed.
7. Good Quality Events Only: Checking the box will stop logging events in WIN-911 in regards to bad quality or uncertain events. This can significantly reduce the amount of activity WIN-911 processes. (note: This is a global option that affects all FactoryTalk Alarm & Event tags)
If you are connecting to FT 8.2 or newer, you will need to confirm that your Alarm and Event Multiplexor services are running under local system. Navigate to your local services>scroll down to your Rockwell services>locate "Rockwell Alarm Multiplexor" and "Rockwell Event Multiplexor">Confirm they are running with a "Log on as" of Local System and not as LOCAL SERVICE, if they are not, make the change to Local System and restart the service. If the services are not set to Local System, you will be able to successfully connect, but no alarms will ever get sent to the WIN-911 Alarm Log Viewer.
If you are still experiencing a problem, please submit Support Ticket or contact Product Support at 512-326-1011 x3 or toll free in the US and Canada at 1-800-331-8740 x3